Monday, March 05, 2007

PET/CT Scan

Hello There,
I have been up since 4:10am, and was at NMH by 6:20. I had my PET and CT scans. From what I can see, (based on my stellar radiology skills) my PET scan is clean! I kind of sensed that it would be, but you always have that doubt.

It is really interesting to see what an unclean lymphoma PET scan looks like. If you go to Google Images, and Google "Hodgkin's Lymphoma PET scans" you can see what I mean.

When you get a PET, they introduce radioactive sugar into your body based on your blood sugar level. Any organ that metabolizes glucose (the brain, heart, kidney's, bladder etc.) show up black on a PET. Cancer cells react in the same way, and they are also black on a PET. Luckily, my scan looked very "grey scale" which is great news! I know I have to wait for a radiologist's interpretation, however, I think I am in the clear!

I will be meeting with Dr. Winter on Thursday and hopefully having my "photo shoot" for the Northwestern Cancer Survivor's calender!

At night lately, I have been watching Joel Osteen videos. If you have ever seen him, he is a phenominal religious, as well as motivational speaker! I kind of think I want to take an overnight trip to Houston to see him. If anyone is interested in doing that with me, let me know!

Also, do you any of you have a racing heart after you drink alcohol? Even if I only have one or two drinks at night, I wake up in the middle of the night with my heart absolutely racing. It is a scary feeling because "alcohol pain" is a very common Hodgkin's Disease symptom.

Off to watch last night's Desperate Housewives!:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sherrie, your symptom of a racing heart could also be a panic attack. Have you ever had a stress test done on your heart?

Anonymous said...

Sherrie,

My heart races when I drink alcohol, especially wine. It's not just you. In fact, I was up all night last night because my dad was here yesterday and brought wine. I think some people are just very sensitive to it. My mom has the same problem.

Amy